Party Wall Disputes - Jonathan Lea Network

A Party Wall typically refers to the wall running along or at the boundary of two neighbouring properties. The wall will usually form part of a building, however, garden walls built on or at the boundary line are also classified as a Party Wall. The Party Wall etc Act was created to both give rights to property owners to undertake works relating to Party Walls and reduce disputes by ensuring neighbouring properties are correctly notified.

If you are a building owner and are planning on commencing building work relating to a Party Wall we can help determine if your work is covered under the Party Wall etc. Act.  This will include constructing a new building or wall on the boundary line; making an existing Party Wall taller, shorter or deeper and digging and excavating ground within six metres from any part of a building or structure on neighbouring land.  If your planned work is covered under the act then a Party Wall Notice will need to be served, informing the adjoining property owners of your plans.

If you have been served a Party Wall Notice by your neighbours, you have the option to consent or object to their works. If you are unsure of the implications of consenting, or would like to dispute the work we can help you to understand your position.

How can JLN help you?

There are a number of ways we can assist in all parts of the process relating to the Party Wall etc. Act and disputes arising from party walls.

If you are the building owner and your neighbour has accused you of breaching an agreement, concerning your respective properties, we can work with you to understand and resolve the dispute. We can also help defend your Party Wall rights. We will work to settle any disputes efficiently, so you can carry on with your works as quickly as possible.

If you are an adjoining owner and your neighbour has served you with a Party Wall notice and you are not sure what you should do, we can advise on how you can proceed and how you might be protected. Alternatively, if your neighbour has commenced work which you believe to be affecting a Party Wall and they have not served you notice, we can help you to obtain an injunction to prevent them conducting any further works, while we help to resolve the dispute.

Some areas we have particular experience in are as follows:

  • Party Wall etc. Act
  • Party Wall Notice
  • Property disputes
  • Neighbour disputes
  • Mediation
  • Breach of contract

We also identify and advise on other relevant areas of law, such as: Professional negligence, residential landlord and commercial and residential conveyancing.

What Our Clients Say

Google rating score: 4.8 / 5, based on 96 reviews

Request a Free No Obligation 20 Minute Call

This introductory call is to discuss your matter so we can provide a well-considered quote.


However, please be aware that the free 20 minute call is at our discretion. If you are more looking for advice and guidance on an initial call, we may instead offer a one-hour fixed fee appointment instead.


Our fixed fee appointments are between £200 – £300 + VAT depending on the seniority of the solicitor taking the call.

Get In Touch

Contact Us

In need of legal advice? We would love to hear from you!